Finest Engadin hotel traditions for more than 150 years, a picturesque mountain landscape and magical turn-of-the-century charm. The four-star superior Hotel Saratz in idyllic Pontresina, near St. Moritz, pampers its guests with every modern comfort and an attractive blend of old and new, nature and architecture.
Extensive investments, renovations, conversion and extension work have transformed the historical building into a multi award-winning, environmentally-aware domicile that is one of the best family hotels in Switzerland. Bright, colourful and spaciously furnished along clear lines – the 63 modern rooms of the “Ela Tuff“ building, erected in 1996. In the nearly 140-year-old main building “Chesa Nouva“ there are a further 30 Junior Suites, family and comfort rooms with a charming mix of modernism and art nouveau.
Pontresina is blessed by nature with many hours of sunshine and a breathtaking landscape, which is transformed into a fairytale setting in winter. The finest powder snow and 350 km of perfectly prepared slopes delight winter sportsmen from all around the world. The three best-known Swiss ski regions – Diavolezza, Corviglia and Corvatsch – offer varied winter enjoyment. The Hotel Saratz ski offer – ski pass included – promises action packed days in the delightful Engadin mountain world. The region offers icy entertainment in many forms. Glamorous events such as the Snow Polo World Cup St. Moritz at the end of January the world’s premier polo tournament on snow – or February’s White Turf St. Moritz, the legendary international horse racing on snow, deliver a grandiose spectacle every year.
The 35,000 m² hotel park offers lavish variety with tennis court, woodchip trail, table tennis, chess and boccia. For golfers there is a park driving range, a sand bunker as well as a pitch and putt green available. In addition, the surrounding area is also home to numerous superb golf courses. The hotel organises weekly activities such as hiking, mountain bike rides, swimming courses and golf small talk. Also outdoors is the highest and largest open-air pool in the Oberengadin. Those looking for action can take the BMW James Bond cruisers for a ride along the passes (charge for insurance only).
Benevolent relaxation is on hand in the wellness area of the Hotel Saratz, with whirlpool, classic wood sauna and a natural stone steam bath. In the old vaulted cellar guests can relax in the manner of 1001 Nights in the oriental Saracen Bath, a modern interpretation of the hamam. Adventure showers, ice fountain, quiet room, fitness room and massages and cosmetic applications round off the offer. Gourmets will find a small culinary paradise of their own at the Hotel Saratz. Thorsten Stegemann, Chef de Cuisine since June 2013, achieved 14 points in the Gault Millau ranking with his team in the first year. Enjoyable, sensual and zestful – the Hotel Saratz indulges discerning connoisseurs with select grandezza.
Text: Petra Dietz
BELCANTO IN THE SARATZ
From 18 to 25 June 2017
with Armin Caduff and the Compagnia Rossini.
GOOD TO KNOW
Located in the centre of the idyllic Pontresina, amidst the holiday region Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland.
- 93 Rooms, 8 Family Rooms, 3 Junior Suites
- Sun terrace
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Pets are allowed. Fees may be charged
- Private parking on site (charged)
- Shuttle service (for free)
- Ski school
- Airport shuttle (charged)
- Babysitting/child services
- Children's playground
- Kids' club
- Games room
- Gift shop
- Art Nouveau Restaurant: for dinner and breakfast. The 140-year-old Art Nouveau dining room takes you back into another era – enchanting, sensual and full of joie de vivre. The extensive wine list with over 250 different wines from 90 provenances offers numerous trouvailles. The rich breakfast buffet offers many Engadine specialties.
- Fireside Bar: the perfect place for having a relaxing aperitif or late night drink near the warm, flickering light of the fireplace.
- Fondue und Raclette Stubli La Cuort: Bread & cheese. Enjoy a cosy evening meal in La Cuort, the stylish fondue and raclette stübli located in the oldest vaults of the Hotel Saratz.
- Cafe Bagnera: Snacks & relax. On sunny summer days, the Cafe Bagnera serves tasty snacks, delicious barbecues with salads and refreshing drinks. It is conveniently located right beside the outdoor pool in the large Saratz hotel park.
WELL-BEING & SPORT
- Spa and wellness centre
- Hot tub
- Fitness Centre
- Indoor pool (all year)
- Outdoor pool (seasonal)
- Bicycle rental (for free)
- Tennis court
- Golf courses nearby
- Table tennis
MUST DO & MUST SEE
- Enjoy 350 km of perfectly prepared slopes. If you book more than one night in Hotel Saratz, you receive the ski pass for the Engadine St. Moritz skiing area for CHF 35 per person per day.
- On the bobsled St. Moritz whiz down the ice track.
- Improve your golf skills .The hotel park has a pitching and putting green as well as a sand bunker and teeing ground. Nearby there are also three superb golf courses: Samedan (5 km), Zuoz (15 km) and St. Moritz (6 km). As a Saratz guest you receive a 20% green fee discount at the above mentioned golf courses.
- Hiking in this beautiful landscape. If you stay 2 nights or more, Hotel Saratz includes free transportation on up to 13 mountain railways and partial free use of the public transport system.
- Get on your bike: 400 km of biking trails in every grade of difficulty will set every biker's pulse racing. The Hotel Saratz provides a complimentary rental bike - brand new Cannondale mountain bikes for adults and children. Alternative: With new Stromer e-bikes also steep ascents are easy to master (half a day CHF 25.-, whole day CHF 50.-).