Arrive. Let go. Enjoy. The Mirihi Island Resort is surrounded by complete tranquillity and absolute beauty, a place that conveys its visitors to another dimension. Stepping onto the charming Maldives island in South Ari Atoll is like entering a Garden of Eden.
My toes dig deep into the snow-white coral sand as I listen to the murmur of the turquoise ocean. This is no dream, but reality. I was enchanted from the moment I stepped out of the float plane after the thirty minute flight from Malé Airport to the picturesque barefoot island. And I was not the only one to feel this way. Delighted regulars return repeatedly to the island, which measures just 350 metres by 50 metres. The reason why is swiftly apparent to me. This is a small yet delightful paradise for travellers looking to experience nature close up and aware, who appreciate luxury for the soul and the feeling of being able to do everything - but not having to do anything.
NEW, YET FAMILIAR
The Mirihi Luxury Boutique Resort reopened in December 2014 after a comprehensive renovation. The blend of elegant modernity and Maldivian tradition is accomplished in style. And, most importantly: the island hideaway has retained its soul, its carefreeness and authenticity. All-round wellbeing still enjoys the utmost priority, assured by the friendly and attentive Mirihi team. One particularly positive point I noted: the time that the management dedicates to each individual guest every single day.
AT HOME IN THE INDIAN OCEAN
Mirihi is home to just 37 quarters, 6 beach and 31 water villas. On my walk around the island - which takes barely ten minutes - I meet practically no other guests. What a glorious Robinson Crusoe feeling. Privacy is also writ large in the villas, whether they are on land or over the water. One thing that immediately stands out is the clever distribution of space and comfortable furnishings. The attractive sun deck of my water villa has direct access to the sea – which I promptly take advantage of to snorkel on the spectacular reef. On my way back I note that all ladders leading to the water are marked with the accompanying villa number, which makes orientation much easier. The freshwater shower on the stairway is another of the clever details that transform each resort villa into a home-from-home in the Indian Ocean.
RELAXATION OR ACTION
… Mirihi offers everything. The wealth of entertainment options is truly astonishing for such a small island. One absolute highlight: the unique, colourful underwater world. Whether you explore the resort reef with a snorkel or join the experienced team of the Ocean Pro Mirihi diving centre at one of the forty different diving spots in South Ari Atoll, the experience is always an exciting one. And: Mirihi is one of the few islands that offer a good chance of spotting whale sharks all year round.
Enough action for today, time for relaxation – and a visit to the Duniye Spa. What I experience there in the course of the following hour is best described as simply wellbeing at its best.
For me, holiday and recuperation are inextricably linked to one another. And on Mirihi my recuperation is wonderful, because the menu and wine list leave no wish unfulfilled. It is not just the selection and quality of the food that are excellent, the service is too. Executive Chef Felix Bamert personally welcomes each guest to the main restaurant, Dhonveli, introducing the daily-alternating buffet options. As delicious as the food is here, gourmets should definitely pay a visit to the Muraka. The over-water restaurant not only offers exquisite à la carte dishes, the location above the lagoon is also fabulous.
The philosophy of the Mirihi Island Resort is "as unique as you". And this luxurious Indian Ocean gem truly does provide every guest with unique experiences.
Text: Petra Dietz
GOOD TO KNOW
Mirihi is located in the South Ari Atoll, reachable from Male via a 30 minute picturesque seaplane flight. Due to the small size Mirihi is meanwhile counted as one of the smallest islands in Maldives.
- 6 Beach Villas and 30 Water Villas (53m²)
- 1 Overwater Suite with 2 bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms (160 m²)
- Free WiFi Internet Access in all rooms, lobby & bar
- Multilingual library
- Satellite TV in the lobby
- Free snorkeling equipment rental
- Free digital newspapers
- Check in 14:00, Check out 12:00
- Credit Cards: American Express, Visa, MasterCard, JCB, CUP
- Muraka Restaurant: Fine Dining with sunset view
- Dhonveli: Traditional sand-floored buffet restaurant with a beautiful ocean view from its spacious deck.
- Anba Bar: Meet with friends for a delicious cocktail or just relax during the day enjoying light snacks. Live music and other special events are offered occasionally.
- Ruhgandu: Small and unique wine-bar showcasing 300 wines and Champagnes, selected rarities and specialties from all over the world. Perfect location for a private dining or a wine tasting.
WELL-BEING & SPORT
- Duniye Spa: Directly on the beach, the spa offers a variety of customized body treatments and massages.
- Watersports: Be active with the complimentary available windsurf gear, kayaks and snorkeling equipment
- The Ocean Pro Mirihi can cater to all levels of divers, from first timers, wishing to learn the basics, to the experienced diver wanting to fine-tune their technique. With over 40 dive sites, an own wreck directly at the Mirihi house reef and a multilingual team, every guest is assured a most personal service. Mirihi is also in the unique position to have the possibility of spotting Whale Sharks the whole year and offers regular trips for divers and snorkelers.
MUST DO & MUST SEE
- Beach cinema
- Stargazing — get closer to the stars with one of the biggest telescopes in the country.
- Night Snorkeling
- Whale shark seeker cruise on a yacht
- Half day snorkeling — discover different reefs in South Ari Atoll
- Island hopping
- Sunrise fishing
- Sunset cruise on a yacht
- Sail & Dine— sail into the sunset and getpampered with your very own barbeque below the stars
- Full moon cruise — dine a Maldivian barbeque on the yacht under the silver moonshine