Modern city living at the heart of historic Munich: The location of the newly built The Charles Hotel, opened in 2007, could not be better chosen - centrally between the Karlsplatz and Königsplatz and yet quietly at the Old Botanical Garden. Due to its unique location guests can reach museums, the lively art scene and the English Garden, one of the world’s largest city parks, by foot in only a few minutes.
The Charles Hotel, the „Münchner Kindl“ of the Rocco Forte Hotels, was built in 2007 as part of a newly developed Munich quarter – the so-called Lenbachgärten. The Lenbachgärten were built from 2006 until 2009 between Karls- and Königsplatz as well as the Main Station at a cost of 440 million Euro and consist apart from the hotel of several residential and office buildings. The Old Botanical Garden and many green areas give the feeling of a large garden. The Lenbachhaus Museum, the former residence of Franz von Lenbach, is only five minutes walking distance from The Charles Hotel. The building is located on the site of the university complex with natural science faculties, such as chemistry and biology. On the exact spot of the present hotel there was once the university library. Olga Polizzi, Director of Design and sister of owner Sir Rocco Forte, interprets the theme „botany“ as well as the book theme in the interior design of the hotel.
DESIGN MEETS BAVARIA
The 36 rooms and 24 suites are pure elegance: Quiet natural colours, high-quality natural materials such as cotton and silk, noble wood and natural stone of traditional Bavarian origin – the unmistakable design signature of Olga Polizzi meets Munich themes and regional accents. Carefully selected art objects of artists working in Munich as well as furniture and decorative elements custom-made for the hotel complete the design concept.
The Charles Hotel has the largest standard rooms in town with a minimum size of 40 square metres. Due to the floor-to-ceiling windows the rooms are especially light and offer a view over the Old Botanical Garden or the historical streets of Munich. From the higher floors, guests may enjoy the Alpine panorama during clear weather conditions. All rooms have a large bathroom with a walk-in shower, a bathtub, a separate toilet and bidet. Neutral colours, stylish design elements and high-quality materials provide an elegant and at the same time homely atmosphere. The standard rooms have a sitting area with a settee and a table as well as working area. Most rooms have a French balcony.
SUITE LIVING DELUXE
The hotel accommodates a total of 24 suites. The heart of the suites is the Royal Monforte Suite on the eighth floor with a size of 200 square metres and a large terrace with a view over the Old Botanical Garden. The suite distinguishes itself through the open plan concept divided into bedroom, living and dining room, working area as well as a fully equipped kitchen with a separate entrance. Moreover, the Monforte Suite is equipped according to the highest security standards. The remaining 23 suites have a size of 48 to 146 square metres and are situated between the second and eighth floor.
A NEW STYLE OF ENYOMENT
Sophia’s Restaurant & Bar is a new style of bistro and a cocktail bar with passion. The new botanical bistronomy is all about gastronomic excellence and refined food in a comfortable and relaxed setting, in Munich, for the people of Munich. Sophia’s menu stresses the importance of regional and seasonal products, with some guest appearances from more exotic flavours and ingredients. Though the highest quality meats and freshest fish are also available from Head Chef Michael Hüsken’s specialist butcher and fishermen, vegetables, fruits, spices and herbs take centre stage. The former Michelin starred chef has experience in some of Germany’s most well regarded restaurants, including Lafer’s Stromburg, Käfer’s, Acquarello, Schloss Elmau, Geisels Werneckhof and Reisers am Stein.
10 YEARS ANNIVERSARY PACKAGE
For all those guests wishing to treat themselves to something truly special at The Charles Hotel, the hotel has put together a unique overnight package to celebrate our 10th anniversary, comprising of 10 luxury experiences:
The Charles Hotel Anniversary Package includes:
- A two-night stay in our Monforte Royal Suite
- Private airport transfer by limousine
- Personal butler for the entire duration of your stay
- Caviar breakfast in your suite or in Sophia’s Restaurant
- Horse-drawn carriage ride through Munich’s famous park, the Englischer Garten
- Champagne afternoon tea in the Library Lounge
- Private shopping at a luxury label store in Maximilianstraße
- Early morning yoga on your own private roof terrace
- 24-carat gold leaf treatment at The Charles Spa
- Cookery course led by the former star chef Michael Hüsken
- 10-course candle-light dinner in the Royal Suite Monforte
Offer valid from 10th January to 10th December 2017 and subject to availability.
Minimum length of stay: 2 nights.
Price upon request.
GOOD TO KNOW
The Charles Hotel opened in 2007 and is centrally yet quietly located between the Karls- and Königsplatz at the Old Botanical Garden. Due to its unique location guests can reach museums, the lively art scene and the English Garden, one of the world’s largest city parks, by foot in only a few minutes. The Main Station with suburban train and underground connections is only 300 metres away and the International Airport can be reached within 35 minutes by car or suburban train.
- 160 rooms of which 24 are suites including the Royal Suite Monforte
- concierge service
- valet parking
- limousine service
- Wi-Fi, also in the guest rooms
- 24 hour room service
- twice daily room cleaning
- same day laundry service
- free shoe cleaning service
- free newspaper
- 24 hour Business Centre
- Conference area: with a total size of 700 square metres has a separate entrance. Seven conference rooms with daylight are equipped with state-of-the-art technique and have a flexible room structure. The 300 square metre divisible ballroom with daylight and a large foyer can be let for receptions and product presentations.
- flat-screen TV in the bathroom
- DVD player upon request
Ironing service on arrival
- free Wi-Fi internet connection
- free unpacking and packing service
- free use of the Video-on-Demand-System
- In Room check-in
- included breakfast
- iPod docking stations
- Apero Bar
FACILITIES ARABIAN GUESTS
- native Speaker
- prayer rug and compass
- Arabian TV channels
- Arabian newspapers on request
- rooms with connecting doors
- pork-free dishes
- dates for breakfast
- Ladies‘ Spa, separate treatment rooms, male and female therapists
- Sophia’s Restaurant & Bar: cosy lounge next to the Old Botanical Garden in the centre of Munich. The new botanical bistronomy concept is all about gastronomic excellence and refined food in a comfortable and relaxed setting, in Munich, for the people of Munich.
- Sophia’s Bar: menu continues in the botanical theme, with well balanced and imaginative drinks. Bar Manager Roman Kern re-invents the classics by mixing natural essences, drying fruit and vegetables, creating powders out of liqueurs, freezing herbs and pickling spices. These can be enjoyed to the sound of a rotating program of well-known DJs and talented musicians.
MUST DO & MUST SEE
- The famous sightseeing spots are a must: Hofbräuhaus, Englischer Garten, the Pinakothek ...
- For football fans: Watch the training of FC Bayern - and it´s also free of charge.
- Wiener Platz: Here you will find the smallest market and the largest beer garden in Munich.
- Eisbachwelle: A river in Munich with a manmade wave – year-around a popular spot for surfers. The best place to watch them is at the museum “Haus der Kunst”.
- Olympia-Alm: You have to earn this, because it is 564 meters high. The effort is rewarded all year round with a beautiful view and Bavarian treats.
- Summer events: The open-air events at Königsplatz and the "Oper für alle" (opera for all) in front of the Nationaltheater are an experience.
- Shopping: Classic fashion can be found in the traditional house Ludwig Beck am Rathauseck, designer labels in the Oberpollinger, current trends at Theresa. Maximilianstraße does not leave any shopping needs unfulfilled.
WELL-BEING & SPORT
- The Charles Spa: extends to 800 square metre, located in the basement of the hotel and accommodates Munich‘s longest hotel indoor pool. Heated relax loungers, steam bath, sauna, wellness showers and a relaxation room are at the guests’ disposal. Use of the spa area is included for hotel guests. Non- residential guests have the possibility to buy a Day-Spa-Ticket.
- The modern gymnasium which is equipped with the latest TechnoGym appliances allows an especially effective workout.